Margo Harris is a barrister with more than 20 years’ experience in commercial law.
Her career has involved appearing in a wide range of courts and tribunals both Australia-wide and internationally. Before coming to the Bar in 2011, she worked as a solicitor in Australia and London, including in-house counsel at an ASX listed company.
Her broad ranging commercial practice straddles diverse industries, including agribusiness, construction and infrastructure, energy and resources, gaming, horse racing, maritime, mining, rail, road transport, sport, telecommunications, and waste management.
She is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators as well as being a nationally accredited mediator.
Margo’s advocacy experience includes appearances in: courts and at mediations in Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and London; tribunals in Brisbane and Melbourne; and arbitrations in London. She has appeared as counsel, and as junior counsel.
Her clients have included the United Nations, AusAid, Lloyds of London, shipowner P&I clubs, insurance companies, charterers, freight forwarders, shipyards, joint venture parties, financiers, tenderers of major infrastructure, start up and established businesses and industry groups.
Her commercial litigation practice includes disputes involving:
- ASX Listing Rules;
- banking and finance (chattel mortgages, farm debts, guarantees, land mortgages, PPSR);
- bankruptcy and insolvency;
- building and construction (commercial, domestic, FPSO, roads, ship conversions);
- contracts (businesses, chattels; corporate governance (including bribery and corruption);
- detinue and conversion, distributors;
- franchises, options, land, registered training organisations, shares, unincorporated joint ventures);
- corporations, incorporated associations, partnerships, unincorporated associations;
- insurance (aviation, D&O, marine, professional indemnity, public liability);
- international trade (GAFTA; other perishables);
- maritime and shipping (charterparties, sale of vessels);
- mining tenements;
- misleading and deceptive conduct (ACL; Corporations Act; ASIC Act);
- property (adverse possession, commercial leases, residential tenancies);
- trusts (constructive, discretionary and fixed; re Beddoe applications);
- torts of nuisance, trespass and negligence; and
- wills & estates.
Her transactional and dispute experience is both national and international: Australia, New Zealand, China, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, East Timor, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Cooke Islands, New Caledonia, Cambodia, Pakistan, United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Germany, Monaco, Belgium, Russia, Morocco, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Egypt, South Africa, Canada, USA and Brazil.
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession – Leading Transport Barristers – Recommended Junior Counsel (Australia, 2018)
2016 Member of the International Arbitration Committee, Victorian Bar
Comm Bar of the Victorian Bar
Maritime Law Assocition of Australia & New Zealand
2011 to present: member of the duty barrister scheme operated by the Victorian Bar
2017 Nationally accredited mediator (Bond University)
2011 Barrister - Call to the Victorian Bar
1994-2011 Solicitor (Australia & London)
1993 Judge's Associate (Justice Kearney, Supreme Court of the Northern Territory)
LLB (University of Queensland)
Certificate in General Arbitration (University of Adelaide)