James undertakes a variety of complex corporate and commercial work in the State and Federal Courts of Australia. He has acted for a broad range of domestic and international clients including ASX 200-listed companies, high net-worth individuals, directors, shareholders, company liquidators, banks and government departments. James has particular experience in contract law, construction litigation, competition and consumer law, arbitration, insolvency, trusts, and administrative law.
Before joining Level Twenty Seven Chambers, James worked at Linklaters in London and Brussels, and at Corrs Chambers Westgarth in Brisbane. He was an associate to Chief Justice Keane, as his Honour then was, in the Federal Court of Australia.
James graduated from the University of Queensland in 2010 with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and Bachelor of Economics (Hons) with the University Medal. He also holds a Bachelor of Civil Law (Distinction) from the University of Oxford.
Significant matters (out of court or not reported) include:
- Acting (led by S Doyle QC) in an international arbitration seated in London under the LCIA rules concerning a $150 million claim under a commodities contract.
- Acting (led by S Doyle QC) for one of Australia’s largest engineering and infrastructure companies in relation to a domestic arbitration under the ACICA Rules.
- Acting (led by G Gibson QC) for one of Australia’s largest rail freight operators in relation to judicial review proceedings.
- Advising (led by A Boe) a former company director in relation to potential criminal liability under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) arising from a failed commercial transaction.
- Advising (led by S Doyle QC) a multinational mining entity on the impact of proposed legislative changes on Queensland mining operations.
- Acting (led by M Trim) for a director in a shareholder dispute concerning control of a start-up enterprise.
- Acting (led by S Doyle QC) for a Swiss company against the State of Queensland in a contractual dispute concerning the manufacture and development of intellectual property worth over $200 million.
- Acting (led by S Doyle QC) for the liquidators of Forge Group Power in relation to a construction dispute with Siemens Limited.
- Advising (led by S Doyle QC) in relation to a Deed of Company Arrangement concerning a $600 million supply agreement for a large-scale infrastructure project in Queensland.
- Acting (led by P McQuade QC) for a former company director in a $150 million claim brought by a responsible entity of a managed investment scheme under Chapter 5C of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
- Acting (led by S Doyle QC) for a national energy and resources company in relation to various ICC arbitrations concerning large-scale mining projects.
2014 New Bar Committee - Bar Association of Queensland
Society of Construction Law (Australia)
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), Associate member
Lincoln’s Inn (United Kingdom)
Bar Association of Queensland
2014 Barrister, Queensland
2013 Lawyer, Corrs Chambers Westgarth
2011 Legal Advisor (Australian Qualified), Linklaters LLP, London
2010 Associate to Chief Justice Keane, Federal Court of Australia
2013 University of Oxford, Bachelor of Civil Law (Distinction)
2010 University of Queensland, Bachelor of Economics (Hons I)
2010 University of Queensland, Bachelor of Laws (Hons I)
2010 University of Queensland Law School Valedictorian
2010 University of Queensland Economics University Medallist