Rob is an experienced and versatile trial and appellate advocate. He provides advice in relation to a wide range of commercial matters, with defamation, insurance and professional negligence, property law, land valuation and compulsory acquisition, and insolvency as areas of particular focus.
His expertise in defamation law and associated areas of media law extends from pre-publication advice to litigation, and includes experience in applications concerning urgent injunctive relief, suppression orders, the operation of the Shield Laws, the implied Constitutional freedom of speech, trials (including before a jury) and appeals. He acts for plaintiffs and defendants (often media defendants) and frequently appears in proceedings in New South Wales and Western Australia, as well as in Queensland.
Further, Rob has acted for sports governing bodies, athletes, clubs and other entities in a wide range of sports related matters, including relating to funding, governance, media concerns, other commercial matters and disciplinary issues.
He has appeared in the High Court and in the trial and appellate divisions of the Federal Court and the Supreme Courts of Queensland, Western Australia, New South Wales and Victoria.
In addition to his busy litigation practice, Rob is an experienced mediator. He has mediated a wide range of commercial disputes.
Rob is an Interstate Member of Francis Burt Chambers in Perth.
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession
- 2019 – Recommended as a leading Queensland Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution barrister.
- 2018 – Recommended as a leading Australian IP & TMT barrister practising in intellectual property, defamation, technology, media, and telecommunications matters.
- 2018 – Recommended as a leading Queensland IP & TMT barrister practising in intellectual property, defamation, technology, media, and telecommunications matters.
- 2017 – Recommended as a leading Queensland IP & TMT barrister practising in intellectual property, defamation, technology, media, and telecommunications matters.
Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers
- 2019 & 2020 – Listed for Alternative Dispute Resolution, Defamation & Media Law and Litigation.
Member, Bar Association of Queensland
Member, Bar Association of New South Wales
Australia and New Zealand Sports Law Association
Communications and Media Law Association
Associate Member, Media Law Resource Center
2015 Queen's Counsel
2007 Counsel Assisting the Commonwealth Government Inquiry into Equine Influenza
2001 Member of the Bar Council
1998 Associate to his Honour Justice Callinan
1999 James Archibald Douglas Prize for Best Reader, Bar Practice Course