Kristi has a broad commercial and civil practice.
She appears both led and unled in in a range of trials, applications (including for urgent injunctive relief) and interlocutory hearings in all levels of state courts, representing parties at coronial inquests, in the Land Court of Queensland, in New South Wales and in both the Federal Circuit Court of Australia and the Federal Court of Australia. She regularly appears at settlement conferences and mediations.
She has a particular interest, and experience, in all facets of insurance law, an area she practised in extensively as a solicitor prior to commencing at the Bar. Her recent experience includes advancing and defending actions against a variety of professionals, including against accountants, financial advisers, property valuers, solicitors and livestock nutritionists. Further, she has advised in relation to claims stemming from the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, matters relating to workers’ compensation and consumer protection litigation.
In addition, Kristi has experience advising and acting in matters involving employment law, planning and environment law, defamation, disciplinary proceedings and for company directors in defence of prosecution by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
Kristi was admitted as a solicitor in 2009, and was a senior associate at a national firm prior to commencing practise as a barrister.
Recent experience as a barrister includes:
- Acting on behalf of a group of investors against a financial services business, its advisers and its insurer;
- Acting on behalf of a group of property owners in land valuation appeals against the Queensland Valuer General;
- Acting on behalf of insurers, their insureds and also plaintiffs in life insurance matters;
- Acting on behalf of insurers and their insureds in various public and product liability claims;
- Acting on behalf of insurers and their insured at the coronial inquest into the death of Andrew Thwaites;
- Acting on behalf of insurers and their insureds, with Queens Counsel, in Supreme Court of Queensland proceedings concerning the termination of an employment contract and allegations of conspiracy, reprisal and defamation;
- Acting on behalf of insurers and their insureds in various property damage claims;
- Acting with Queens Counsel in professional disciplinary proceedings before the Valuers Registration Board of Queensland;
- Acting on behalf of employees in various employment related disputes litigated in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia, including claims of contravention of general protections and underpayment;
- Acting on behalf of the Workers’ Compensation Regulator in relation to various workers’ compensation disputes; and
- Acting on behalf of insurers, their insureds, defendants and plaintiffs in historic child abuse claims.
Prior to being called to the bar, Kristi practised as a solicitor and acted for local and international insurers handling professional indemnity, D & O, financial lines, personal injury, workers’ compensation and life insurance claims and also advising insurers on issues of policy interpretation and indemnity.
Bar Association of Queensland
Women in Insurance (Qld)
2008 Bachelor of Laws, First Class Honours, Queensland University of Technology.
2004 Bachelor of Music, Performance, Queensland Conservatorium of Music, Griffith University.
2008 Queensland University of Technology Medal.
2008 Queensland University of Technology Dean’s Research Scholar.
2008 McInnes Wilson Prize for Evidence