Kristi has a special interest in all facets of insurance law (including professional negligence, financial lines and personal injury claims), employment law and land law in addition to defamation and general commercial matters. In particular, she has extensive experience acting for both plaintiffs and institutions in historical child abuse claims.
Prior to being called to the Bar, Kristi was a senior associate at a national firm where she advised and acted for local and international insurers. She has appeared led and unled in state and federal courts, tribunals and coronial inquests. Kristi is known for being diligent, approachable and working well with her instructors and their clients.
Recent experience as a barrister includes:
- Acting on behalf of a group of investors against a financial services business, its advisers and its insurer;
- Acting on behalf of a group of property owners in land valuation appeals against the Queensland Valuer General;
- Acting on behalf of insurers, their insureds and also plaintiffs in life insurance matters;
- Acting on behalf of insurers and their insureds in various public and product liability claims;
- Acting on behalf of insurers and their insured at the coronial inquest into the death of Andrew Thwaites;
- Acting on behalf of insurers and their insureds, with Queens Counsel, in Supreme Court of Queensland proceedings concerning the termination of an employment contract and allegations of conspiracy, reprisal and defamation;
- Acting on behalf of insurers and their insureds in various property damage claims;
- Acting with Queens Counsel in professional disciplinary proceedings before the Valuers Registration Board of Queensland;
- Acting on behalf of employees in various employment related disputes litigated in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia, including claims of contravention of general protections and underpayment;
- Acting on behalf of the Workers’ Compensation Regulator in relation to various workers’ compensation disputes; and
- Acting on behalf of insurers, their insureds, defendants and plaintiffs in historic child abuse claims.
Prior to being called to the bar, Kristi practised as a solicitor and acted for local and international insurers handling professional indemnity, D & O, financial lines, personal injury, workers’ compensation and life insurance claims and also advising insurers on issues of policy interpretation and indemnity.
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession
2020 – Recommended Junior Counsel for Professional Indemnity (QLD)
2019 – Recommended Junior Counsel for Insurance (QLD)
Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers®
2021 – Listed for Insurance Law
Bar Association of Queensland
Women in Insurance (Qld)
2008 Bachelor of Laws, First Class Honours, Queensland University of Technology.
2004 Bachelor of Music, Performance, Queensland Conservatorium of Music, Griffith University.
2008 Queensland University of Technology Medal.
2008 Queensland University of Technology Dean’s Research Scholar.
2008 McInnes Wilson Prize for Evidence