Mei has a broad commercial practice, drawing upon her experience in building and construction, regulatory and general commercial disputes.
Prior to being called to the bar, Mei worked as an associate to the Hon. Justice Margaret Wilson of the Supreme Court of Queensland, and as a solicitor at Herbert Smith Freehills. Mei has advised both Australian and international clients on complex construction disputes, civil penalty proceedings and general commercial disputes in State and Federal Courts.
Mei holds a Bachelor of Laws with First Class Honours from the Australian National University, and a Master of Laws as a James Kent Scholar from Columbia University, New York. She is admitted to practice in Australia and in New York.
Matters as a barrister include:
- Acting for the ACCC in civil penalty proceedings concerning alleged cartel conduct and exclusive dealing;
- Acting for a leading property investment firm to obtain urgent search and freezing orders in the Queensland Supreme Court;
- Appearing on applications under the Subcontractors’ Charges Act;
- Appearing on bankruptcy matters in the Federal Circuit Court;
- Advising on commercial disputes in the District Court and Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
Matters as a solicitor include:
- Advising on a number of building and construction claims, including the construction of the Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal; residential, commercial and retail redevelopments; major regional shopping centres; and underground infrastructure including tunnels and gas pipelines;
- Advising a large Australian bank in civil penalty proceedings brought by AUSTRAC; and
- Advising mining and resources clients in proceedings under the Fair Work Act and Work Health and Safety Act.
2017 Master of Laws (James Kent Scholar), Columbia University
2013 Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Australian National University
2012 Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), Australian National University
2012 Bachelor of Arts, Australian National University
2017 James Kent Scholar
2017 Parker Certificate for International and Comparative Law
2009-2012 ANU Chancellor’s Commendation for Academic Excellence
2011 International Alliance of Research Universities Scholarship – Cambridge University