Matthew has a broad commercial practice, with an emphasis on contract, equity, professional negligence, corporations, defamation, corporate and personal insolvency, administrative law, and property disputes.
His work encompasses advice, drafting and representation for a diverse range of clients, appearing both as sole counsel or as a junior in the Supreme Court of Queensland, District Court of Queensland, Land Court of Queensland, Federal Circuit Court, and Magistrates Court of Queensland. He has conducted public examinations under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
Matthew draws on six years’ experience working as a solicitor in a busy commercial dispute resolution team in Brisbane, where he focussed on commercial litigation and personal and corporate insolvency matters, prior to being called to the Bar in 2016.
Matthew graduated from the University of Queensland in 2009 with degrees in Arts and Law (First Class Honours).
Recent experience as a barrister includes:
- General disputes relating to commercial contracts;
- Acting for plaintiffs in solicitors’ professional negligence proceedings in the Supreme Court, led by Queen’s Counsel;
- Acting for liquidators in Supreme Court proceedings in a dispute over ownership of heavy machinery;
- Acting in proceedings in the Land Court for compensation for the acquisition of land, led by Queen’s Counsel;
- Acting in defamation proceedings in the District Court;
- Acting for voluntary administrators and liquidators in applications made under the Corporations Act 2001(Cth);
- Public examination pursuant to the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth);
- Acting in Supreme Court proceedings for the appointment of receivers over trust assets, led by counsel;
- Acting in Supreme Court proceedings in a dispute involving alleged trespass, led by Queen’s Counsel;
- Acting in Supreme Court proceedings involving a leasing dispute and claims of promissory estoppel;
- Assisting in the investigation of, and reporting on, complaints made to the Crime and Corruption Commission, led by Queen’s Counsel.
As a solicitor, Matthew acted for a broad range of corporate and non-corporate clients, including listed entities in the property, technology, agricultural, and mining and engineering sectors.
Bar Association of Queensland
2010-2016 Associate, HopgoodGanim Lawyers, Brisbane
2013-2014 Guest Lecturer, “Civil Procedure”, T. C. Beirne School of Law, University of Queensland
2009 Bachelor of Laws (Hons I), University of Queensland
2009 Bachelor of Arts, University of Queensland