Barristers of Level Twenty Seven Chambers act for sports governing bodies, athletes, clubs and other entities in a wide range of sports related matters, including relating to selection, doping, funding, governance, media concerns, disciplinary issues, sponsorship contracts, broadcasting deals and other commercial matters. They have acted as advocates, advisers, arbitrators and mediators in disputes relating to all of these matters. Clients benefit from our barristers’ expansive commercial law experience concerning commercial equity, contracts, corporations, defamation & media, employment and professional discipline & regulatory.
Members advise and appear before domestic and international tribunals, including proceedings before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS/TAS) in Lausanne. In addition, our barristers are called upon to assist athletes and sporting groups, often on a pro bono basis, in mediation as well as before Tribunals and Appeal Boards.
Recent work includes:
- Acting for prominent cyclist Matt White in respect of the assistance he provided to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA);
- Acting for ASADA on an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport;
- Acting for the Australian Rugby Union in proceedings for defamation brought by a former coach;
- Acting for Football Federation Australia in proceedings brought in relation to the termination of the license held by the Gold Coast United Football Club;
- Acting for ARU and Queensland Reds players in relation to disciplinary matters;
- Acting for Football Federation Australia as administrator in defamation proceedings commenced by an A-League Club Owner;
- Acting for a multiple Olympic champion in defamation proceedings.