Stewart’s practice is focused on complex commercial disputes. His clients include multi-nationals, ASX200 listed companies, company liquidators and government entities. Stewart has particular experience in contract law, commercial equity and trusts, insolvency law, and large-scale disputes of reputational and strategic significance.
Before joining Level Twenty Seven Chambers, Stewart worked as a solicitor at Allens, as the Associate to the Honourable Justice J.A. Dowsett AM in the Federal Court of Australia and for Nishimura & Asahi in Tokyo. He holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and Bachelor Arts from the University of Queensland.
Stewart is listed in Doyle’s Guide the Legal Profession as recommended junior counsel for commercial disputes (Australia and Qld), insolvency matters (Qld) and building & construction disputes (Qld).
Notable matters as junior counsel:
- Defending Sunland Group Limited in Supreme Court proceedings for damages relating to land transactions in Dubai
- Acting for Anglo American in a major contractual dispute with two power station customers
- Acting for Adani Australia in relation to judicial review challenges to mining and infrastructure approvals in the Supreme Court of Queensland, Federal Court and Full Federal Court
- Appearing for the plaintiff in an 8 week building & construction e-trial in the Supreme Court of Queensland involving claims for variations, extensions of time and liquidated damages
- Acting for liquidators of companies in the Octaviar Group in relation to a substantial claim for damages against a firm of auditors
- Advising and appearing on behalf of IBM Australia in relation to the Queensland Health Payroll
- Representing a global mining company in a multi-party contract price arbitration
- Acting and appearing for liquidators of the Rivercity Motorway Group in Federal Court proceedings
- Acting for the State of Queensland in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
Stewart also has significant experience in unled advice and appearance work. He regularly appears in contested hearings in State Supreme Courts, Courts of Appeal and the Federal Court of Australia (including on applications for summary judgment, strike out, recovery of possession, directions for administrators and liquidators and short trials).
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession
- Leading Commercial Litigation & Disputes Junior Counsel (Australia) – “Recommended” (2017)
- Leading Commercial Litigation & Disputes Junior Counsel (Qld) – “Leading” (2017, 2016), “Recommended” (2015)
- Leading Insolvency & Reconstruction Junior Counsel (Qld) – “Leading” (2017), “Recommended” (2016, 2015)
- Leading Construction & Infrastructure Junior Counsel (Qld) – “Recommended” (2017)
Reporter - Incorporated Council of Law Reporting (Queensland)
Bar Association of Queensland
University of Queensland Law Alumni Association
2012 Barrister (Brisbane)
2011 Solicitor, Allens (Brisbane)
2010 Associate to the Honourable Justice John A. Dowsett AM, Federal Court of Australia (Brisbane)
2009 Legal Editor, Nishimura & Asahi (Tokyo)
2010 LLB (Hons) (UQ)
2008 BA (UQ)
2008 Lovells Prize for Excellence in Japanese and Law Studies (UQ)