Stewart’s practice is focused on complex commercial disputes in Australian courts and in arbitral proceedings. He is regularly engaged by leading national and international law firms to advise and appear for multi-nationals (including Anglo American plc, Glencore plc, IBM Corp and Mitsui & Co), Australian public companies, ultra-high net wealth individuals, external administrators and government entities. Stewart has particular expertise in disputes in the energy & resources, banking & finance, building & construction and IT sectors, and in matters involving contract law, commercial equity and trusts, corporations law, insolvency law and administrative law.
Stewart is ranked as a leading junior counsel for Dispute Resolution in Chambers & Partners Global and Asia-Pacific 2019, and is listed in Doyle’s Guide to the Legal Profession as recommended junior counsel for commercial disputes (Australia and Qld), insolvency matters (Qld) and building & construction disputes (Qld).
The following are a selection of significant matters in which Stewart has acted as junior counsel:
- IBM – in Supreme Court litigation concerning IBM’s liability for the replacement of the State of Queensland’s Health Payroll system, and in relation to IBM’s role in the 2016 Australian Census (instructed by Jones Day)
- Adani Australia – in judicial review challenges to mining, infrastructure and environmental approvals in the Supreme Court of Queensland, Federal Court and Full Federal Court (instructed by Ashurst)
- A global mining company – acting in a multi-party contract price arbitration (instructed by Allens)
- McConnell Dowell – Supreme Court proceedings to challenge an arbitral award (instructed by Pinsent Masons)
- Anglo American – acting in a major contractual dispute with two power station customers (instructed by Gilbert + Tobin)
- Airservices Australia – in Supreme Court proceedings brought by the Brisbane Airport Corporation relating to alleged environmental contamination from PFAS chemicals in fire-fighting foam (instructed by Maddocks)
- Liquidators of companies in the Octaviar Group – acting in relation to a large and complex claim for damages against a firm of auditors (instructed by Clayton Utz)
- Brisbane City Council – acting in a complex IT dispute with TechnologyOne (instructed by Minter Ellison)
- Sunland Group – acting in Supreme Court proceedings for damages arising from land transactions in Dubai (instructed by Holding Redlich)
- Civil Mining & Construction – appearing for the plaintiff in an eight week building & construction trial in the Supreme Court of Queensland involving claims for variations, extensions of time and liquidated damages and in a related appeal (instructed by Thomson Geer)
- Queensland Sugar Limited – acted in an oppression action brought by Wilmar Sugar (instructed by Allens)
- Liquidators of the Rivercity Motorway Group – acting in Federal Court proceedings for advice and complex directions (instructed by Johnson Winter & Slattery)
- State of Queensland – advising and appearing in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse (instructed by Crown Law)
Stewart also has significant experience in unled advice and appearance work in the superior courts of Australia.
Chambers & Partners Asia-Pacific 2019
Chambers & Partners Global 2019
Listed as a leading junior for Dispute Resolution: “heavily in demand” with a “perfect mix of technical skill and user-friendliness” and “unflappability in court“.
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession
- Leading Commercial Litigation & Disputes Junior Counsel (Qld, 2015 – 2018; Australia, 2017)
- Leading Insolvency & Reconstruction Junior Counsel (Qld, 2015 – 2018)
- Leading Construction & Infrastructure Junior Counsel (Qld, 2017 – 2018)
Reporter - Incorporated Council of Law Reporting (Queensland)
Bar Association of Queensland
University of Queensland Law Alumni Association
2011 Solicitor, Allens
2010 Associate to the Honourable Justice John A. Dowsett AM, Federal Court of Australia
2009 Legal Editor, Nishimura & Asahi (Tokyo)
2010 LLB (Hons) (UQ)
2008 BA (UQ)
2008 Lovells Prize for Excellence in Japanese and Law Studies (UQ)