Roger is a leading Queensland silk with a wide-ranging commercial and public law practice.
He is adept conducting stringent cross-examination in a trial setting, in advancing legal arguments before appellate courts, and in the provision of specialist advice. Sought by clients for his ability to give strong strategic direction and for being calm under pressure, he leads teams in large and complex litigation where effective cross-examination and presentation of technical expert evidence is critical.
Recent instructions include appearances and specialist advisory work spanning a diverse range of areas including regulatory matters under Australian Consumer Law, commercial equity, native title and mining rights, the construction of infrastructure for significant community developments, judicial review, private international law, vegetation management, the compulsory acquisition of land and the valuation of land for taxation purposes.
The breadth of Roger’s professional recognition reflects the extensive range of matters on which he is briefed. He is recognised in Doyle’s Guide and the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers® for practice areas including Commercial Law and Litigation, Insurance Law, Planning and Environment Law, Dispute Resolution and Wills and Estates.
He is a keen proponent of alternative dispute resolution. Roger’s extensive experience, combined with his personable, adaptable and user-friendly approach, enables him to identify the issues incisively and successfully mediate commercial disputes of all types. Applying the specialist knowledge of the fields in which he practices, Roger acts as expert by agreement between parties to determine commercial disputes informally, efficiently and cost effectively.
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession
- 2020 – Recommended Leading Counsel for Wills & Estates (Queensland)
- 2020 – Recommended Leading Counsel for Planning & Environment (Queensland)
- 2019 – Recommended Leading Counsel for Insurance (Queensland)
- 2019 – Recommended Leading Counsel for Planning & Environment (Queensland)
- 2018 – Recommended Leading Counsel for Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution (Queensland)
- 2018 – Recommended Leading Counsel for Planning & Environment (Queensland)
- 2018 – Recommended Leading Counsel for Wills & Estates (Queensland)
- 2018 – Recommended as a Leading Mediator (Queensland)
- 2017 – Recommended Leading Counsel for Planning & Environment (Queensland)
- 2016 – Recommended Leading Counsel for Insurance (Queensland)
Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers
- 2021-22 – Recognised in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Commercial Law, Insurance Law, Planning and Environmental Law
- 2019 – Recognised in Commercial Law, Insurance, Planning & Environment
- 2018 – Recognised in for Planning & Environment
Professional Leadership and Public Life
2014–current Chairman, Bar Association of Queensland Ethics Committee
2014 Australian Bar Association, Advanced Trial Advocacy Course
2011-2012, 2012-2013 President, Bar Association of Queensland
2010–2011 Vice-President, Bar Association of Queensland
2011–2012 Director, Law Council of Australia
2011-2012 Member, Council of the Australian Bar Association
2010–2011 Chair, Professional Discipline and Conduct Committee, Bar Association of Queensland
2007–2009 Honorary Secretary, Bar Association of Queensland
2003–2013 Member, Bar Council
Community Involvement and Leadership and Public Life
2011–present Director, Cancer Council of Queensland & Member, Management and Finance Committee, Cancer Council of Queensland.
2002–2014 President, Breast and Prostate Cancer Association of Queensland (previously Breast Cancer Association of Queensland)
1993–1994 President, University of Queensland Cricket Club
2013 Appointed Queen’s Counsel
2003 Appointed Senior Counsel
1985 Barrister at Law, admitted
1985 Associate to the Honourable the Chief Justice, Sir Walter Campbell
1981–1982 Queensland Sheffield Shield Cricket
1997 Master of Laws, Queensland University of Technology
1985 Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Queensland
1983 Bachelor of Arts, University of Queensland