Sam’s practice covers a wide range of commercial dispute resolution including litigation and arbitration. He has particular experience in cases involving professional liability; building, construction, infrastructure and technology disputes; and general commercial matters. Sam is regularly briefed in cases involving complex factual disputes and expert evidence.
Sam is listed in Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2018 and 2019 as a recommended junior counsel in construction and infrastructure disputes, having been previously listed in the emerging category in 2017.
Before being called to the Bar, Sam practiced for five years as a solicitor in commercial dispute resolution.
Notable matters as junior counsel include:
- acting for, and advising, solicitors and their insurers in numerous professional negligence claims;
- acting for company directors in civil penalty proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia brought by ASIC alleging breaches of director’s duties;
- acting for a major engineering firm in Supreme Court proceedings alleging defective design of transport infrastructure;
- acting for a developer in Supreme Court proceedings alleging misleading and deceptive conduct and negligence by a geotechnical engineer;
- acting for a transport and logistics company in Supreme Court proceedings against an infrastructure owner alleging breach of contract and negligence.
In addition, Sam is regularly briefed unled to appear and advise in respect of proceedings in the Supreme, District and Magistrates Court, and other tribunals.
Before being called to the Bar, Sam practiced for five years as a solicitor in commercial dispute resolution. His experience as a solicitor includes acting in extensive litigation and arbitration arising out the design and construction of an underground infrastructure project, various disputes arising out of the performance of construction and engineering contracts, and commercial disputes. His experience as a solicitor includes working as a senior lawyer for the Barrett Adolescent Centre Commission of Inquiry.
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2019 – Recommended Construction & Infrastructure Junior Counsel (Qld)
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2018 – Recommended Construction & Infrastructure Junior Counsel (Qld)
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2017 – Emerging Construction & Infrastructure Junior Counsel (Qld)
Bar Association of Queensland
Society of Construction Law Australia
LLB (Hons) (QUT)
LLM (Distinction) (University of London)