Jason has a broad civil practice with a focus on contract, equity, construction and infrastructure, competition and consumer law and intellectual property. He is particularly experienced in arbitration.
Prior to joining the Bar, Jason worked as a foreign legal adviser at Bae, Kim & Lee in Seoul and as a solicitor at Corrs Chambers Westgarth in Brisbane. He also worked as a researcher at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, focusing on international dispute resolution.
Jason holds a Bachelor of Laws from Griffith University, a Master of Laws from Korea University and a Doctor of Philosophy in Law from the University of Geneva.
Jason is the co-author of a textbook on the conflict of laws to be published by Cambridge University Press and the assistant editor of the Oxford Handbook of International Arbitration to be published by Oxford University Press.
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for Santos Limited in a claim bought in the Supreme Court of Queensland for repayment under an EPC Contract of amounts in excess of $1 billion.
- Acting for a Korean manufacturer in an ICC arbitration in relation to claims for breach of contract and unauthorised use of confidential information in excess of €40 million.
- Acting for a German engineering company in an ICC arbitration concerning various claims arising from the design and manufacture of industrial equipment.
- Acting for Vald Performance Pty Ltd in a claim bought in the Federal Court for patent infringement.
- Advising an Australian company in relation to an intellectual property dispute with a foreign government.
- Acting for a mortgagee in a claim bought in the Supreme Court of Queensland for payment of principal and interest owing under a mortgage outside the limitation period prescribed in the Limitation of Actions Act 1974 (Qld).
- Acting for and advising shareholders in oppression proceedings in the Supreme Court of Queensland.
- Acting for a licenced firearms dealer in an application bought in the Federal Court to set aside a decision of the Minister for Home Affairs to refuse importation approval.
- Acting for a body corporate in an application bought in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal concerning the validity of a caretaker and letting agreement.
- Acting for a builder in a claim against the Queensland Building and Construction Commission in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
- Advising a patent holder in respect of various issues arising out of an agreement to assign and commercialise a patent.
- Advising the owner of a building in relation to claims arising out the structural failure of the building.
- Advising a property developer in relation to various claims arising out of a joint venture dispute.
- Advising in numerous cases concerning allegations of defective design and workmanship.
- Advising in numerous cases concerning complex intellectual property disputes.
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession
- 2021 – Recommended as a leading Australian IP & TMT barrister.
Bar Association of Queensland
2018 Barrister (Brisbane)
2015 Researcher, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (Geneva)
2013 Solicitor, Corrs Chambers Westgarth (Brisbane)
2012 Foreign Legal Adviser, Bae, Kim & Lee (Seoul)
University of Geneva, Doctor of Philosophy in Law (Summa Cum Laude)
Korea University, Master of Laws (Distinction)
Griffith University, Bachelor of Laws (Hons)
Griffith University, Bachelor of Arts
Swiss National Science Foundation Scholar
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Scholarship
Korea University Academic Scholarship
Griffith University Award for Academic Excellence