Matthew has more than ten years of post-admission experience in commercial litigation, particularly banking, construction, resources, insolvency and insurance.
He has been listed in Doyle’s Guide as ‘Leading’ in Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Insolvency and Arbitration.
Matthew has a keen interest in public interest litigation and is a significant contributor to pro bono community legal services. He is the current President of LawRight Inc and Chair of the Queensland Legal Assistance Forum.
He is a professional member of the Resolution Institute as well as being a Nationally Accredited Mediator.
Matthew has acted in disputes in the fields of banking, construction, mining, oil and gas, insolvency, bankruptcy, real property, contract, commercial, insurance, franchising (for both franchisors and franchisees), class action, intellectual property (patents, trademarks, copyright and confidential information), body corporate, trade practices, trust and guardianship.
Matthew’s recent and ongoing work includes:
- Acting in Tri-Star Petroleum Company v Australia Pacific LNG Pty Ltd (BS10110/14) (claims concerning entitlements in petroleum leases, led by A Pomerenke QC and D Clothier QC).
- Acting in LMIM Investment Management Ltd (receivers and managers appointed) (in liquidation) v Drake & Ors (BS12317/14) (management investment scheme / directors’ duties, led by D O’Brien QC).
- Acting in Oceltip Pty Ltd v Noble Resources Pte Ltd (BS3899/15) (contractual claims in relation to mining royalties, led by A Crowe QC).
- Acted in Burdett-Baker v Turner (BS11046/14) (recovery proceedings by liquidators, formerly led by S Brown QC (as she then was)).
- An appointment by the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal to act as independent representative of an Adult whose capacity is under challenge (pro bono, unled).
- Acting in Westpac Banking Corporation v Stirling & Ors (BS1848/13) (pro bono, acting in multi-party recovery proceedings, leading C Curtis).
- Various recovery proceedings on behalf of lenders, including Bank of Queensland Ltd v Sanderson (BD2801/14), Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Ltd v Clark (BD4793/13), Provident Capital Ltd (recrs and mgrs. apt) v Holland (BS1385/2014), Credit Union Australia Ltd v Ennis (BRG7/2016).
- Appearing for a bank in multiple actions arising from the collapse of Storm Financial, including actions commenced by ASIC and a class action proceeding (led by A Crowe QC and S Couper QC).
Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession
2018 – ‘Leading’ Junior for Arbitration (National)
2018 – ‘Leading’ Junior Counsel for Insolvency (Queensland)
2018 – ‘Leading’ Junior Counsel for Commercial Litigation (Queensland)
2017 – ‘Recommended’ Junior Counsel for Commercial Litigation (Queensland)
2017 – ‘Leading’ Junior for Insolvency (Queensland)
2017 – ‘Recommended’ Junior for Insolvency (National)
2017 – ‘Leading’ Junior for Arbitration (National)
Nationally Accredited Mediator
Chair of the Queensland Legal Assistance Forum: Bar Association of Queensland nominee; Member of the Mental Health Service Planning Working Group
President of LawRight Inc (previously the Queensland Public Interest Law Clearing House / QPILCH): Immediate past Treasurer and Secretary; Elected barrister member of the Management Committee; Regular presenter at Community Legal Centre Continuing Legal Education Seminars and student training clinics; Regular accepter of pro bono referrals through various schemes; Co-organiser of the Magistrates Court Enforcement Hearing Duty Lawyer Scheme; Federal Court Self Representation Service Mentoring Reference Group member; Volunteer Fair Work Commission Conciliator
Member of the Bar Association of Queensland Pro Bono Committee
Honorary Solicitor to the Sri Lanka Society of Queensland Inc
Professional Member of the Resolution Institute (Nationally Accredited Mediator)
Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Member of the International Institute of Space Law
Member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand Inc
Member of AMPLA
2006-2009 Solicitor (Tucker & Cowen)
2016-2019 University of Melbourne, Candidate for Master of Laws by Coursework
2018 Certificate in Adjudication (pursuant to the Building and Construction Industry Payments Act 2004)
2017 Professional Certificate in Arbitration (Adelaide)
2016-2017 CiArb, Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration
2016 University of Adelaide, Professional Certificate in Arbitration
2005 University of Queensland, Bachelor of Laws (Honours IIA)
2004 Monash University, Master of Diplomacy and Trade
2002 University of Queensland, Bachelor of Arts (Double Major in German)
2017 Professional Certificate in Arbitration Achievement of Excellence Award
2004 Monash University Prize for Top Graduating Student in Master of Diplomacy and Trade
2004 University of Queensland, Vice Chancellor’s Scholarship
2004 French Department of Foreign Affairs Student Exchange Scholarship