This matter involved the prosecution, by the Work Health and Safety Prosecutor, of Mr Kouzoukas for allegedly failing to comply with the duty he owed under the Electrical Safety Act 2002 (Qld), to ensure electrical equipment at a premises which he owned was electrically safe.
A death had occurred in the basement of the premises. An inquest determined that the deceased had been electrocuted by a compressor located in the basement. As Mr Kouzoukas owned the basement, and the compressor was considered to be under his control, he was charged with the offence of contravening section 38 of the Electrical Safety Act 2002 (Qld) and prosecuted.
Kristi Riedel appeared on behalf of Mr Kouzoukas. After a multi-day trial involving the evidence of expert electrical witnesses, Magistrate Nolan found that the prosecution had failed to prove each element of the offence beyond reasonable doubt, and Mr Kouzoukas was found not guilty.
The reasons for the decision are available here.