What did the webinar cover?
Loss of opportunity cases can present significant challenges, as a party seeks to establish the likelihood of one or more hypothetical scenarios, and the value of an opportunity lost. This presentation detailed a proper approach to a loss of opportunity case, including what must be pleaded and proved to establish causation and loss, with an emphasis on the preparation of expert evidence relevant to the valuation of a lost opportunity. Attendees left with practical suggestions for supporting or challenging a loss of opportunity assessment as cost-effectively as possible.
The main topics covered were:
- Key principles which inform the assessment of damages in a loss of opportunity case;
- Examples of loss of opportunity cases, focusing on evidentiary requirements to prove causation and loss;
- Valuation concepts relevant to the assessment of loss, including the treatment of risk and uncertainty inherent in a hypothetical scenario;
- Practical guidance in framing and proving a loss of opportunity case.
Who should watch?
This topic will assist litigation lawyers, in house counsel, as well as accountants and other experts who may be called upon to analyse a venture with uncertain prospects of success.
A recording of the presentation is free to view below.
- Press the ‘play’ button on the video thumbnail below.
- Complete the form.
- Press the ‘play’ button again on the video thumbnail below.
The presentation slides are available here.
Listen to the podcast version of the CPD here:
Places are limited. To reserve a place for the event on Wednesday 27 May 2020, please register through the form below.
The presentation is free of charge. For further information, please contact Tamara McCombe on +61 7 3008 3927.