What will the seminar cover?
You will hear from experienced panelists, who have acted in a variety of roles in commissions of inquiries and inquests (COIs), on how to best plan and execute your client’s strategy, when engaging with these unique legal processes.
Discussion will include:
- How COIs differ from trials
- Tips on preparing your counsel team and client
- Practicalities of planning for COIs
- COI procedures for obtaining leave, and adducing evidence from witnesses & experts
- Options for maximising your clients best interests
- Establishing effective relationships between those with different roles in COIs
Who should attend?
All law practitioners, but particularly commercial lawyers, litigators and their clients.
Chair: Nicholas Andreatidis QC (barrister, Level Twenty Seven)
Panelists: John Byrne AO RFD
We are delighted to welcome John to the panel. He became a barrister in 1974 and then Queen’s Counsel in 1982 before being appointed to the Supreme Court of Queensland in 1989. In 2007 he was appointed Senior Judge Administrator to head the Trial Division of the Court. John has been acting commissioner on a number of high profile COIs.
Matthew Hickey (barrister, Level Twenty Seven)
Claire Schneider (barrister, Level Twenty Seven)
Sophie Gibson (barrister, Level Twenty Seven)
To reserve a place for the event on Tuesday 21 July 2020 1230 AEST, please register through the form below. The webinar login details will be sent to those registered to attend 24 hours before the start.
- Press the ‘play’ button on the video thumbnail below.
- Complete the form.
- Press the ‘play’ button again on the video thumbnail below.
The presentation is free to view. For further information, please contact Tamara McCombe on +61 7 3008 3927.
The CPD is available as podcast below.
The PowerPoint slides are available below.
Following this webinar, Nic and Sophie invited GHD in-house counsel Denise Obst and Carissa Smith to review what they learnt from being party to the Paradise Dam Commission of Inquiry. Nic and Sophie were briefed by GHD on this particular commission of inquiry. The video recording, podcast and PowerPoint from ‘Commissions of Inquiry – an In-House Counsel Perspective’ are available here.