Queensland Young Lawyers (QYL) and Level Twenty Seven launched its second seminar series with ‘Life at the Bar‘ on Wednesday 4 May 1800 (AEST). Barristers Stewart Webster, Florence Chen (Level Twenty Seven Chambers) and Emma Fitzgerald (Jeddart Chambers) compared the different courses they took to be called to the Queensland Bar as well as provided some insight into what one might expect of life as a barrister.
Topics discussed included:
- Why, when and how to come to the Bar
- Financial considerations
- Practical tips on networking before and when coming to the Bar
- The Bar Practice Course (BPC)
- Applying for readership at a barristers’ chambers
- What days in the life of a barrister might look like
The session was hosted for anyone considering a career as a barrister in Queensland or simply curious about what practicing as barrister involves.
A video and podcast recording of the event, as well as a transcript, are published here.